In 1986 Harewood House Trust was formed to look after the House, its collections, the Gardens and Grounds for the public benefit.
The Trust has since undertaken the work of conservation, renovation and maintenance with money it generates through its' commercial activities, any additional funding and sponsorship for specific projects as well as from visitors who come to Harewood.
Conservation at Harewood means many things: from the care of listed farm buildings and cottages to wildlife and habitat re-introduction programmes. It also involves looking after the fabric of Harewood House itself, including restoration projects both major and minor to the many items in its collections.
These projects sometimes span across Harewood, involving Harewood Estate as well as Harewood House Trust, the educational charitable trust that looks after the House, its Gardens and Collections for the public benefit.
Please click the links below for details of some of our bigger conservation and restoration projects from the last two decades.
The Chinese Wallpaper was originally hung in the Chintz Bedroom in 1769. In March 2008 the wallpaper was restored and hung in The East Bedroom.
When Harewood House was built, a State Bedroom fitted out in elegant styles was considered an essential status symbol.
The State Bed was rediscovered during the 1970s. In 1999 the Heritage Lottery Fund provided 70% of the £200,000 cost of restoration.
Grade 1 listed Harewood Castle was built in the 14th Century. In recent times, decay and weathering started to take their toll, making the castle unstable. In 2000, Harewood Castle was placed on the Buildings at Risk Register by English Heritage.
A three year, £1m, repair and consolidation programme was drawn up, funded through English Heritage and the Harewood Estate.
Building work on the Stables Courtyard began in 1755. When completed, the Stables had space for up to 60 horses, as well as rooms for coachmen and grooms. Since the 1950s, when Harewood opened to the public, the Stables have housed visitor facilities including exhibition spaces, a shop and a restaurant.
Work has been completed to restore the fabric of the grade I listed Stable Block, re-developing its interior in order to improve visitor facilities and access.