In 1922, HRH Princess Mary married Henry Viscount Lascelles. In 1929, after the death of the 5th Earl of Harewood, Princess Mary and the 6th Earl asked Sir Herbert Baker to make designs for some improvements to various rooms. This room was remodelled in 1929 and used by Princess Mary as her dressing room.
The style of the room references the original neo-classical design of the House and was inserted sympathetically into the scheme. On either side of the fireplace (with pillars of Lapis Lazuli), cupboards contain some of Princess Mary’s collection of rose quartz and jade.
As well as family photographs, there is a portrait of the Princess Royal by Oswald Birley, and a painting of the 6th Earl when he was a Grenadier Guard, facing left to conceal an injury to his right arm sustained during the First World War.
A display dedicated to the Princess's contribution to the Gardens at Harewood can be found in the Garden Room Below Stairs. The display includes a new interactive resource which allows you to view in detail items such as her delicate Royal wedding dress, an unfolding Fabergé locket and letters to and from the Princess.
Read more about the new interactive display...