Princess Mary and her husband, Henry, Viscount Lascelles, who became the sixth Earl of Harewood in 1929, lived at Harewood House from 1930 until his death in 1947. On the accession to the title by the present Earl, her elder son, George, the Princess continued to live in the house until her death in 1965. She is buried in Harewood Church.
Princess Mary and her husband Henry, 6th Earl of Harewood, shared a love for the outdoors. As soon as they moved to Harewood in 1930 they started to make new plans for the gardens and the running of the estate. Work began on a Rock Garden at the head of the Lake (now the Himalayan Garden), planting rhododendrons, primulas and other plants from China and the Himalayas, and sponsoring expeditions by plant collectors such as Frank Kingdon-Ward. They modernised the glasshouses in the walled garden, and planted the Terrace with roses – particular favourites of Princess Mary’s, who liked to prune and deadhead them herself.
The display here acknowledges her contribution to the Gardens at Harewood - she was a great plantswoman, preferred country life to the glitz of the city, and loved Harewood more than anywhere.
Some of Princess Mary's personal belongings are displayed in these two rooms, alongside prints of the flowers she loved and records of seed orders and historic planting schemes for the Gardens.
This room was decorated with the kind support of Farrow & Ball
The colour used in this room is: Folly Green® 76
The wallpaper used is: Uppark BP549